Prior to 1990, what is now Lakewood Ranch was just a big, 48 square mile piece of land in eastern Manatee County (mostly) owned by the heirs of the Schlitz Brewing Company. The land supported a group of businesses including citrus, aggregate mining, and ranching. I-75 had barely been completed by 1990 and accordingly, there were very few homes east of I-75 at that time and even fewer business. Local residents scratched their head wondering why anyone would want to live that far east in the middle of nowhere – let alone enough to occupy 48 square miles of land.
The first houses were built in the mid 1990’s and now, 20 years and about 13,000 homes later, the mystery has been solved. People want to move their because they want new and modern construction, things to do over and above the beach (golf in particular), good schools, easy access to airports and other parts of the state, and a well planned, green community.
Lakewood Ranch has all of these things and, for most of the items on the wish list, is the only place on the west coast of Florida where they can be found. The growth has been so strong that Lakewood Ranch has routinely ranked in the top 10 fastest growing master planned communities in the country.
A partial list of Lakewood Ranch amenities includes:
- The Lakewood Ranch Country Club with a 44,000 sf clubhouse, a second clubhouse under construction, and 54 holes of golf
- The fitness center which includes an 11,000 building with rooms for yoga, Pilates, other classes along 18 tennis courts and 2 outdoor heated pools
- Sarasota Polo Club @ Lakewood Ranch – 9 fields and a regulation size arena with tournament play on Sunday afternoons in the winter season.
- Sarasota Cricket club @ Lakewood Ranch
- Schools – There are 7 public schools plus several private schools including St. Stephens Episcopal School and the Out of Door academy. There are also several higher learning institutions on the Ranch including Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. Further the Sarasota/Bradenton campus of the University of South Florida is less than 10 miles from the Ranch.
- Main Street- Main Street is the heart of Lakewood Ranch. It sits on the western edge of Lake Uihlein and features movie theaters, putt-putt golf, and a collection of restaurants and shops.
- Healthcare – The Lakewood Ranch Medical Center offers world-class medical care in its on site 120 bed facility.
- Shopping – The newest mall on the West Coast, University Town Center, opened in November 2014 and is located at I-75 and University Blvd.
- Easy access to I-75- Whether you are going to the Tampa Airport, a Rays game in St. Pete, or the beach at Siesta Key, easy access to I-75 will make your life simpler. The Ranch spans 3 interstate exits, so you are never too far from one.
How to See Lakewood Ranch Homes For Sale
Use the links on the left to search for your new Lakewood Ranch home or condominium. If you are looking for a home, condominium or in an area that is not represented in the links, try the custom search to find more Lakewood Ranch homes for sale.